Sunday 27 March 2011

~~~Interview with emarati digital artist Sumayyah Al Suwaidi~~~


  •  How and where did the art journey start for you?
  • I believe it started in 1996, when I had my first computer and I used to watch my cousin who was studying Graphic design back then and I was so fascinated!!! That I had to install Photoshop on my computer and started teaching myself how to use it J
  • What’s the main message of your work?
  • My work is too personal; it’s all about my day to day life, the things I go through! Which I am sure many people have gone through too! So each artwork touches the viewer in a certain way, it reminds them of a situation that happened with a friend or a family member, or even with a loved one. So I can say my work is so close to the heart.
  •  What media/techniques are your favorite and why?
  • Well I am a digital artist so it’s my favorite medium but at the moment I am working on my first ever 2 mixed media pieces, I cant wait to see the final look of the artworks, I have to say I am very excited J


  • Who would you be if u were not an artist. What other fields have u considered?
  • Well I am not only an artist I am also a curator, I have curated some group and open call art exhibitions. Add to that, I am also an entrepreneur, I own a multi brand boutique called “Grafika” based in Al Wahda Mall in Abu Dhabi, and because I am so in love with fashion, I have ventured in the fashion design field and I will be launching my first collection by the end of this month at Grafika.
  • Many artists know Sumayyah Alsuwaidi as both a successful artist and an enthusiastic art curator. What made you want to organize the shows and what kind of artists are you looking for?
  • I am always looking for something new! New blood in art! And the best way to get to know who’s out there is by having these open call exhibitions, you meet new people in the field, you connect with the society, you help people over come their fear in exhibiting their artworks for the first time and you support artists who never had any sort of support in their life.
  • As a curator what are you looking in an artist besides creativity?
  • I am looking for something original, something different, something that easily people can praise, and artists who have such work I end up inviting them to take part in my group exhibitions, such as my Ramadan Art Bazaar which takes place every Ramadan and this year I will be curating my 4th Ramadan Bazaar.
  • How important is it for a UAE raised artist to know history and culture of the region?
  • It’s crucial as it’s the key to get through every Emirati and also it’s important to explain our history and culture to the expatriates and the visitors of the country.
  • What makes middle eastern art special in your opinion?
  • I believe it’s the subjects we tackle, the objects we use in our work. If it was calligraphy, or the deserts, sand dunes or camels and horses. I guess it’s the Arabic touch in the artworks that makes it special. But my work has nothing Arabic in it. Maybe just the Arabic calligraphy and wordings which I started using in my art in 2006. so people when they see my artworks then see me, they are always shocked J
  • Please tell us more about your Art Bazaar project. What’s the idea of it and who it targets?
  • One day I was walking in the mall and all the big brands like Christian Dior and YSL where on 50% sale, so I was thinking why not have original artworks once a year sell at a lower price than usual, because then more people will get to collect and buy art from some of their favorite artists. I know many people who want to buy original artworks but they can’t afford it. So the Ramadan Bazaar helps people collect original artworks rather than buying cheap copies.
  • Could you tell us more about your recently published book. What caused its birth. Should every piece of your artwork be viewed in a certain context or it can alone represent itself/single concept?
  • I believe I am at a stage in my artist career where I should have a documentation of my art and a book does that. The book I published is available online, so anyone from any part of the world can order it, and it includes 20 artworks, my biography and my 2010 list of exhibitions.
  • My artworks represent themselves as each one can tell you a story on its own, you do not need any explanation as the best thing is when you interpret the artwork on your own way.
  • What’s the process of creating your art? Do you visualize it first?
  • Sometimes it starts with a vision or an idea, and then I create a very basic sketch of where every element would go in the artwork after that I start the process on the computer. I use 5 different software’s to create my art, but sometimes I only use 1 software for the entire artwork so at the end it all depends on what I need exactly to complete the idea of the artwork.
  • What in your opinion can be biggest challenges in becoming an artist and what advice could you give for the upcoming talent?
  • Upcoming artists need to be original; they should experiment as much as they need until they find their trademark, until they find what makes their art unique and makes it stand out. They should try to take part in as many art exhibitions as possible so their name would spread and more people would recognize their art.
 To see more artworks please visit www.sumayyahalsuwaidi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment