Wednesday 29 May 2013

          "Ebru is more than art. It is also a poetry , a soft melody"- these words welcome anyone interested in this beautiful Turkish Art on the website of one of the most famous artists alive Hikmet Barutcugil. But let me tell you the story from the very beginning.

          My journey started when I first heard about the traditional Turkish art of Ebru at the Les Art Turcs gallery that offers various experiences to the visitors of Istanbul. I say just a few paintings that were created with the "paper marbling" technique and illustrated beautiful flowers. I understood very little of the creation process but loved the effect of the art works that indeed resembled natural stones and marbles.

       When I arrived home, I started my research about the technique, its history, materials used and the process itself. No words could explain it the way a video on youtube did. I was mesmerized by the simple transformations and the play of colour and imagination. It was not just any painting. An exciting story was told in front of me, the final painting being its logical ending and the final dot. A memory of a unique experience reflecting the fine art traditions of the ottoman empire.

             
             Determined to see this "miracle" in real life, my capoeira friends Priya, Marwan and I met on a beautiful sunny May day and went for a walk in the heart of Istanbul. We all knew each other back from UAE, where we belong to different capoeira clubs and but here were merely three souls looking to learn more bout the city and ways people express themselves. They were quite curious to see what Ebru was and we spend some good time trying to find the  Caferiye Medresesi where for the first time in our lives we were shown the beautiful process of Ebru creation by the talented artist Caskan.


         The following day I had an even more exciting journey- I was to visit Ebristan and meet the famous artist Hikmet Barutcugil himself! He was kind enough to welcome me and my friend and show the studio and let us see the final stage of the Ebru course he was conducting. With the help of many notes, maps and bus numbers, getting lost a bit and me falling and scratching my knees and ripping my favourite pants, we managed to find the beautiful place.

              The artist greeted us, we introduced ourselves and were offered some coffee and immediately started exploring the art space. A group of ladies were also waiting for their class to start and everyone welcomed us with a "Merhaba" and a warm smile. Now let me tell you more about the artist.


            Barutcugil has studied both in Turkey and abroad, mastering his skills and has participated in hundreds of exhibitions worldwide. His art work has been recognized by many art lovers and he has inspired many art students through his work at the art universities in Turkey. Yet the most fascinating thing about him is how humble he is regardless the fame and the workflow he has, he tries his best to keep the tradition of Ebru alive and share the knowledge through his books or workshops.

                  That day was the final class were students were shown how to transfer their Ebru paintings to the board and decorated with ebru borders for a better presentation.
                   

          All the students were listening very carefully, some making notes and discussing what colour frame went best with the painting.


          Mr Hikmet was showing how every step was to be taken with care and attention and it was simply amazing just to watch his experienced hands guide us through.


           I also enjoyed taking a few photos of the course participants. Every one of these gorgeous women just radiated contentment and reflected the warm energy of the Teacher. They all used the techniques they learnt and expressed their own personality through their work.



            Then the sample painting was finished -it looked even more beautiful with borders and everyone was inspired to start their own right after the tea break.

         We took our time to make a few snaps, Marwan exploring the finished work and the mixed media art ...


...and me posing with Mr Hikmet's assistant Miki, a  sweet talented girl from Osaka, Japan.

        Then we joined everyone in the garden, where everyone was chatting casually and discussing what they learnt and their plans(well i am totally making this up as i do not understand Turkish that well hehe). We felt at home and it was a great way to finish our little art adventure and say bye to all of our new friends!



          It was a very interesting trip and I learnt a lot. Yet I realise, this is just the beginning and the real magic of Ebru is still awaiting ahead of me.






No comments:

Post a Comment